3w-9xxx module version in FC4

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon May 2 18:32:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 at 9:11am, jkeating at j2solutions.net wrote

> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 11:18 -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >
> > Err, really?  I saw exactly the opposite.  Now, this was on centos 4, but
> > these numbers are for a software RAID0 across 2 9500-12 cards in 11 disk
> > RAID5 mode.  I'd also done 'blockdev --setra 16384' on both 3ware
> > devices, and this is with a kernel modified to include XFS:
>
> I can't help but wonder if the software RAID 0 is interfering with your
> setup.  Any chance you can test w/out the software RAID 0 involved?
> Just a straight RAID 5 across 11 disks?

No difference.  This time, I tested with the stock kernel and ext3 (just
so no one can argue that XFS and/or 8K stacks were the issue).  So, this
is tiobench on centos 4, 2.6.9-5.0.3smp, with the 9.1.5.2 firmware/stock
driver vs. 9.2 firmware/driver:

9.1.5.2/stock:
Read, 1 thread: 270.89
Read, 2 thread: 176.04
Read, 4 thread: 167.48
Read, 8 thread: 162.20

Write, 1 thread: 63.97
Write, 2 thread: 66.38
Write, 4 thread: 61.64
Write, 8 thread: 63.21

9.2:
Read, 1 thread: 269.70
Read, 2 thread: 199.13
Read, 4 thread: 177.69
Read, 8 thread: 153.60

Write, 1 thread: 18.26
Write, 2 thread: 18.74
Write, 4 thread: 18.31
Write, 8 thread: 18.77

For completeness' sake, here are the XFS numbers (as usual, better than
ext3):

9.1.5.2/stock:
Read, 1 thread: 239.74
Read, 2 thread: 360.29