What is wrong in this spec file?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu May 5 19:54:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 22:28 +0200, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
[lots of stuff]

So, lots of people have already told you to use a BuildRoot, and they're
correct.  Mathew Miller also said that you'd be better off not using the
"root" user to build.  He's absolutely correct, so I figure that the
instructions for this don't hit the list often enough, so here's a
simple guide to doing so:

1) log in as a non-root user.  I like "pjones" for that, but suit
yourself ;)

2) create a .rpmmacros file.  In it, put something like:

%_topdir        /home/pjones/build
%_tmp           %{_topdir}/tmp
%_tmpdir        %{_tmp}
%_tmppath       %{_tmp}

3) make some directories:

cd /home/pjones
mkdir build
cd build
mkdir RPMS SPECS SOURCES BUILD SRPMS tmp

4) test that everything's right:

rpm -Uvh foo-1-1.src.rpm
cd ~/build/SPECS/
rpmbuild -ba foo.spec

It should start doing the obvious build stuff.  When it's done, it'll
write packages out to ~/build/RPMS/$ARCH/foo-1.1.$ARCH.rpm, just like it
used to do in /usr/src/redhat .

--
        Peter