ElementTree vs. lxml (python XML libraries)

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu May 12 18:18:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 13:55 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On 5/12/05, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Is it a possibility to port yum to lxml? Are we married to ElementTree?
> > Would having both libraries in the distribution be objectionable? Does
> > anyone else have a deeper knowledge of either or both libraries that can
> > shed more light on the issue.
>
> Yum is not married to ElementTree, it's married to
> ${FASTEST_XML_PARSER_FOR_PYTHON}. However, I *really* like the
> ElementTree API, so if lxml can a) ship with the same API, and b) be
> faster than ElementTree, I don't see a reason to stay with
> ElementTree.

>From what I heard from people I respect in the python community lxml is
a lot faster (by virtue of using libxml2 as its backend) but I have yet
to see any real data on the issue.  Luckily the API is so similar it
will just require a couple of tweaks like changing the name of the
imported package to test.  I'll investigate further.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer