User Friendly Install

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon May 23 14:43:54 UTC 2005

man, 23.05.2005 kl. 13.50 skrev Naheem Zaffar:
> From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
> Subject: Re: User Friendly Install
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora Core
>        <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:59:50AM +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> >> I do not know if Nautilus can have scriptable folders, or yum
> install from
> >> a local folder, so these could be issues that need to be worked on.
>
> >Recent versions of yum can indeed install from local files (and solve
> >dependencies using any enabled repositories), so something like what
> >you'reproposing might be workable. I'm not convinced it's the best
> way, but it
> >wouldn't be terribly hard.
>
> Its not the most elegant solution, but it solves the problem at hand
> without forcing package providers to provide a complete web
> architecture.
>
> The problem is allowing people to install packages without going into
> 'DLL Hell'. The other solutions are far more elegant, but also far
> more work, as they provide a complete new architecture.
>
> Instead of having an install folder, you can just use yum to install
> instead of rpm when you (right)click on an rpm to install.

That is also a workable solution, but it doesn't solve two problems,
which frontend reading from a special metadata file doesn't solve:
- Autmatic updates
- Wich of the 10 rpm's openoffice is built up of do i need?

I do also not see the the great security benefit of having such a folder
instead of a metadata file - with the metadata file, you download this
file, open it, type in the root password, and ansver to a couple of
standard questions. Install. Done.

Now we only need a solution to search and delete old software that is no
longer needed :)

Kyrre