ufs write safety

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Wed May 25 22:38:22 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Can anyone here provide experience reports or pointers to reports,
regarding the safety of Linux's write support for Sun UFS?  It is
marked as experimental and dangerous, but it appears to have been
around since 1998.  I'm wondering whether this might be one of those
things that works fine but still carries old labels.

I've googled and found only the same warnings that I would write myself,
if I only read fs/Kconfig & Documentation/filesystems/ufs.txt.  I tried
contacting the author, Daniel Pirkl, but his email address listed in
the code the docs is now invalid.

I have several external RAID arrays that up to now have been attached to
Sun boxes and formatted with UFS filesystems.  I will be attaching
these arrays now to a RHEL 4 host.  If I can safely get away with it,
I'd prefer to keep writing to the UFS volumes, since we're talking
about several TB of data.  But if writing is still not believed to be
safe, then I will need to transfer the data to a Linux filesystem with
spare TB of space, reformat the external filesystems, and move the data
back (or variations on that plan).  These are filesystems that several
people use for daily work, so I'd rather avoid the copy time if
possible.

Any pointers would be very welcome.

Thanks,
David