libXext eludes linker, mod X issue?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 5 10:50:57 UTC 2005

sean wrote:
> xorg-x11-6.8.2-58 on amd64.
>
> All of a sudden, builds ( xine, dvdauthor) break with:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXext
>
> but
>
> ldconfig -v | grep Xext
>         libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
>         libXext.so.6 -> libXext.so.6.4
>
> locate libXext
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.4
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.a
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so
> /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.a
> /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so
> /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6
> /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXext.so.6.4
>
> Adding LDFLAGS seems to fix this, but why is the linker suddenly unable
> to find -lXext on its own? Does it know xorg-x11-devel is going?

Wow.  I figured we would not get people blaming things on
modular X, at _least_ until we actually made it available
in rawhide.  ;o)

Seriously though, the libraries you quote above are from monolithic
X.Org 6.8.2, as indicated on the first line of your email.  The
libraries are installed in the correct location for monolithic
X, under the /usr/X11R6/%{_lib} directory, where they are expected
to be.

The monolithic X in rawhide, has had absolutely no code changes
for quite a while now, and the only changes that it has had, have
been the addition/removal of fake rpm Provides to various
subpackages.

I would look at your ld.so.conf configuration firstly, to confirm
that the X libraries are indeed configured there.  If they are, then
this is almost certainly a bug in the software you're trying
to compile.  From the errors above though, I would strongly suspect
that your ld.so configuration is hosed.