Where should the modular X11R7 fonts get installed to?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Nov 11 11:27:57 UTC 2005

Le vendredi 11 novembre 2005 à 00:49 -0500, Mike A. Harris a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le mercredi 09 novembre 2005 à 20:47 -0500, Mike A. Harris a écrit :
> >

> >>The "core fonts" system is for legacy X applications, in particular
> >>applications that use the Xt, Xaw, and Motif toolkits, as well as other
> >>legacy toolkits.
> >

> > And commercial JVMs.
> > Making core font support optional would probably be enough for Sun to
> > get a clue and port Java to fontconfig.
>
> Things of this nature take a lot of time to transition.  While we
> want that transition to happen, moving too fast can end up just
> upsetting users and customers unreasonably, which would just make
> Fedora and thus future RHEL releases less attractive to many
> deployments.
>
> Proper timing is key.

In this case there it's more vendor cluelessness than timing issues. I
doubt Sun will even look at fontconfig before lack of support breaks
jvms on some distros. And they're not alone. If you want the transition
to happen you have to break stuff in FC else some people won't ever look
at the problem and let you happily bear the burden of dual font system
till hell freezes over.

And note I didn't write "remove core font support" but "make it
optional" ie things will still work after installing the optional part.
Which will hopefully annoy enough people they start looking at
fontconfig support.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot