FC5 and new init system

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 11:22:12 UTC 2005

Daniel Malmgren wrote:

>Hi all.
>I'm responsible for rpm packaging of InitNG. I've followed this
>discussion and just wanted to notice a few things.
>
>I can't really see why everybody wants Harald to continue the efforts on
>SystemManager. I don't know much about the project, but I can't really
>see why time should be spent making competing init replacements when
>there are good alternatives out there.
>
>This is where I'd like to say a word for InitNG. InitNG it just half a
>year old, but it's been progressing very fast. With the latest releases
>it's starting to work very good out-of-the-box. I think you should take
>a look at it. It installs just fine alongside with SysVinit, you've just
>gotta choose in the Grub screen which init to use.
>
>What the InitNG project really needs right now is a wider testing base!
>
>/Daniel

Would you or anyone else be interested in packaging InitNG in Fedora
Extras? . Fedora does have a good amount of enthusiastic users who could
provide feedback on this if this was just a matter of installing a few
packages with yum in parallel to the current init system and making sure
stuff doesnt  break.

regards
Rahul