FC5 and new init system

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:45:22 UTC 2005

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

>I'll throw my vote on as well, not because I have a (large) problem with
>initscripts, but just for the coolness factor.

    I'd love to see an init system that can do parallel boot and service
monitoring.

    At some point,  I often end up installing djb's daemontools on
machines that I administer.  Sometimes this is because I install other
djb software,  sometimes because I need the service monitoring.

    On the other hand,  a bad init system could make my life miserable,
so I'd move carefully in this department.  I've been hearing bad things
about the system in Solaris 10,  for instance.  I'd hate to have to
write new init scripts for all the software I run -- even though
dependency awareness is necessary for parallel boot,  I'd want the
ability to break the dependency rules when I want to break them.