init observations

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:44:49 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> I'm not convinced that parallel startup is such a great idea.  A lot of
> work will be required to get (and keep) dependencies straight.  Also, is
> it really a win?  Firing off a dozen things at once does not make them
> finish 12 times faster; it can make them take longer.

This is why we need to see initng booting a default set of services
side-by-side with a SysVinit.
Its very much an open question as to whether there is much win at all
here... and exactly which segment would be expected to benefit. Luke's
images don't  come close to telling a real comparitive story about
boottime. Out of all the potential benefits I see the boottime
argument as least compelling, and most speculative... so its probably
best not to focus on this item at all.

-jef