Dependency problems not reported

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 13:48:55 UTC 2005

Steve G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ever since the openssl upgrade last week, I have not been able to run "yum
> update" and have it actually update the system. I looked at it and I see
> dependency problems that are not being reported by the rawhide report:
>
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11-devel is needed by package openmotif-devel

Bug in openmotif packaging.

> Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 is needed by package iiimf-libs
> Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.5()(64bit) is needed by package iiimf-libs
> Error: Missing Dependency: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB is needed by package
> openmotif

Bug in openmotif packaging.

> Error: Missing Dependency: libXv.so.1 is needed by package HelixPlayer

$ rpm -qp --provides libXv-0.99.1-2.i386.rpm
libXv.so.1
libXv = 0.99.1-2

Looks like a bug in HelixPlayer.  Perhaps it is using -rpath?

> Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11-devel is needed by package Xaw3d-devel

Bug in Xaw3d.

> Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11-devel = 6.8.2-62 is needed by package
> xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel

Doh, bug in libXp packaging.  I just fixed it in 2 milliseconds though.

Did I ever mention how much I love modular X, because it is so simple to
fix a small bug in one tiny package now, and not have to wait 6 hours
for the package to build on every architecture known to man?  If not, I
guess I just did. ;o)