init observations

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Nov 16 15:07:55 UTC 2005

From: "Kenneth Porter" <shiva at sewingwitch.com>
> It's funny how the discussion gets lost in a focus on speed, and the other
> benefits that are more important to servers seem to get ignored (at least
> for discussion).

I don't understand why people think these topics are mutually exclusive.
There are clearly a number of different aspects when we discuss about
init replacement, all important to some group of people:
  * dynamic dependencies
  * hot plugging
  * D-BUS integration
  * speed
  * parallel startup
  * graphical boot
  * proper API
  * service monitoring
  * automatic respawning of services
  * on-demand startup of services
  * backwards compatibility

They are all important, and each should be addressed. But we can not
do it all at once. If you want to discuss about a different aspect,
we should start a different thread.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.