init observations

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Nov 16 17:28:05 UTC 2005

From: "Bill Nottingham" <notting at redhat.com>
> a) because X is dumb, and doesn't handle hotplug devices

You mean mouse & keyboard? I'd consider it a bug, really.
I think X should handle it if I change the keyboard and
or the mouse.

> b) becuase it really shouldn't take *that* long

True, 3s is not *that* long, just wanted to see what
it would take to get rid of it. Problem is that nothing
is *that* long (most things take less then 3 sec), but
they do add up. And 40s is too much.

This is offtopic, but I think in general we have a problem
with startup times. For example, starting gedit (which is
marketed as a fast and simple text editor) on my fairly
decent 3GHz CPU/1GB RAM box takes a *few* seconds. This
should be instantaneous (<300ms). I think we're about 100
slower then we should be. And this is in an area that people
care about startup times more than for boot. I wouldn't
be surprised to have similar inefficiencies during init.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.