Re: init: API

Just to add to the pool of ideas, here are some discussions on the topic:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/05/2331259&tid=156&tid=130&tid=4
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/02/1553253&tid=8&tid=106

On 11/16/05, Dimi Paun <dimi lattica com> wrote:
Folks,

Since we are discussing a new init replacement, I think
we should consider a good API for it too, so that it services
can be controlled programmatically. At the very least, we
need to be able to:
  * start/stop/reload/restart a service
  * query its status
  * wait for a service to start/stop
  * a way for services to interact with the administrators
    (for example to ask for passphrases, etc.)
  * a way to signal problems (probably D-BUS bases)

I know this is blasphemy, but how about we start (at least
for inspiration) with the Services API from Win32:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="">

For more info about Win32 services:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="">

At the very least looking at other APIs will tell us:
  * what we need to cover
  * what we should avoid

What other APIs are out there? Does Sun have one?

--
Dimi Paun <
dimi lattica com>