questions and issues about the modular X updates

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 21:12:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:53 -0600, Jason Dravet wrote:
> 2.  When I did the yum update all of the xorg-x11-drv rpms downloaded.  This
> is 56 files several of which I don't need.  I have a Number nine Revolution
> IV video supported by the i128 package.  I don't need the cirrus, trident,
> s3, nv, etc packages, but I can't uninstall them.  I get
> rpm -e xorg-x11-drv-trident
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         xorg-x11-drv-trident is needed by (installed)
> xorg-x11-drivers-0.99.2-3.i386
> Will I be able to uninstall unnecessary drivers?

You previously had all the drivers installed.  By default, we're going
to be installing all of the drivers as that keeps things easier for
people to change hardware, etc.  Although not recommended, you can (at
least currently) remove the xorg-x11-drivers package and then remove
individual driver packages that you don't need.  This could cause
problems down the road if drivers get split or some other reason for
needing a new driver package.

Jeremy