nv (open source) driver v. two heads on one card

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 06:58:34 UTC 2005

Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, I went through the:
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ChangesSince68
>
> and it mentions:
>
> - Updates to nv(4) driver from XFree86 and nVIDIA
>
> I went through the source of the driver briefly (not that I would
> understand any of it :-) and there is a mention of twoHeads in heaps of
> places, so I'm hoping...
>
> Does anyone know if this open source driver now supports two heads on
> one card (e.g. Quadro 280 PCI and similar) like its close source
> counterpart does?

The "nv" driver does not support both heads of multihead cards, however
you can use an nvidia card in conjunction with another video card
(which can also be an nvidia card) to do dualhead over multiple
cards.

On the upside of things, there is a new developer from Nvidia who is
now working on the "nv" driver directly in the X.Org source tree, and
he has CVS write access, so hopefully the driver will be kept fairly
up to date.  Maybe if we're really lucky they might improve the
driver to support things like dualhead on one card, but I wouldn't
hold your breath. ;o)

Baby steps!