init: API

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 19:18:23 UTC 2005

Slightly related to this thread -- is there any policy regarding the
format of configuration files for new software or re-writes of
existing software.

XML would be the obvious choice (it is both human and machine
readable), but I did see a recent post here that requested "anything
but XML". I can understand why someone would not like XML (not easy to
read, difficult to edit with vi without breaking the file). But one of
the things I hate about unix like OSes is that every application has a
different config file format, making writing admin tools very
difficult.

If not XML then what? Obviously the project owner gets to choose, but
in the absence of personal preferences I think it make sense for
Fedora Core project to make a recommendation so as to make the
development of admin tools easier.

Joe.