init: API

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 19 05:12:58 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> said:
> Use an XML editor. If its got the DTD/schema/etc then it won't let you
> make a mistake and it can present the document in a sane manner. Any
> document..

This is the init system.  When it doesn't work, I'll have to fix it on a
VT510 hooked up to the serial console.  I don't want to have to jump
through a lot of hoops to have to fix the system (so /usr may not be
available for example); how do I use an XML editor?  The only editor
currently in /bin is vi (not vim with 10,000 optional pieces but
stripped down).  I guess you can count awk/sed/grep and maybe even ed as
"editors", but they certainly don't know XML, DTDs, schemas, etc.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>