More modularization.

Peter Lemenkov petro at mail.ru
Sat Nov 19 10:01:36 UTC 2005

Hello, All!

Just my simple proposal. If we look into mesa-libGL package, we'll see a
number of dri-modules:

[petro at Petro ~]$ rpm -ql mesa-libGL
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/dri
/usr/lib/dri/i810_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/i830_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/mga_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/r128_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/savage_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/sis_dri.so
/usr/lib/dri/unichrome_dri.so
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2

I (and many others, definitely) haven't neither i810-based cars, nor
others from this list. So question is - why I enforced to install all of
these dri-modules? We can simply split this package into a bunch of little
packages, for example mesa-libGL, mesa-dri-i810, mesa-dri-i830, etc. It''s
not a hard work, IMO.

The same thing with kernel. Not all of kernel-modules are needed actually.
Why don't repack kernel into kernel, kernel-modules-all (which contains
nothing, actually, but installs a huge number of small packages with
modules itself - the way xorg-x11-drivers does).

Any ideas?
--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.