init: API

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Nov 19 10:16:24 UTC 2005

Le samedi 19 novembre 2005 à 06:49 +0200, Gilboa Davara a écrit :

> While using XML is still a couple of steps short of having huge useless
> registry hives, it is a step in the wrong direction.

Accusing XML to be wrong just because gconf made a mess of it is just as
silly as accusing traditional conf files to be hopeless because of
sendmail.

There is *nothing* wrong with XML itself, if fact there are lots of very
good built-in properties in XML, the only thing a service description in
XML would need is strong style guidelines.

And BTW without strong style guidelines flatfiles are just as bad, so
the only thing you people are saying is "I've seen good flat-file style,
but no good xml-file style". And considering you've all read perhaps 100
× as many flat-files as XML files, this is not exactly a damning
statement.

Once again, what is wrong with /etc/fonts/fonts.conf ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot