X11-forwarding over SSH didn't work!

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 19 12:32:44 UTC 2005

Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> On Friday 18 November 2005 03:18am, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>
>>Hello, All!
>
> [snip]
>
>>Frankly speaking I think that's a good idea to make this symlink, until
>>all issues, concerned with modular Xorg, will be resolved.
>

> I would be concerned about opening that floodgate.  If we do, then there is no
> reason for people to care to fix their code.

Correct.  Just prior to the release of Fedora Core 5, I plan on doing
a sweep through bugzilla looking for various compatibility issues with
respect to hard coded paths to things.  There are likely to be some
areas where we do need to provide optional backward compatibility, and
at that time, I will likely be creating some compatibility mechanisms,
however the details of exactly what, and how it will work, will be
determined late in the Fedora development cycle.

Right now, the focus is on getting modular X cleaned up and stabilized,
and on getting as much of the rest of the OS as possible, as well as
Fedora Extras, and other 3rd party software out there - all fixed up
to work with modular X too.  There are a number of things out there
right now that may very well be broken by modular X, due to paths
moving.  That is good.  I want to see those applications fixed by
people, and fixed sooner rather than later.

If people know of software that is broken by having hard coded paths
to X binaries, config files, libraries, or X data files, please report
bugs to the upstream developers of those packages, and to the
package maintainers who own the packages.  Where possible, please
submit patches to help fix the software to work with modular X.
If you're unsure about how best to fix something in particular, please
ask directly on this mailing list and/or on the main xorg list
upstream.  If I see your question and have time to offer an answer,
I will gladly try to help.

Having said that, I want to emphasize that I am not in a rush to
provide backward compatibility symbolic links for anything at this
early point in the Fedora development cycle, as that just allows
broken applications to stay broken indefinitely, or until we
remove the symlink in an OS release or 2 or 3.

Also, when we do decide late in the development cycle what compat
links we should provide for the final OS release, I plan on disabling
them again in rawhide as soon as FC6 development starts up, to
further "encourage" people to fix broken applications that are
still out there.

By contributing to reporting bugs, and/or fixing the broken
applications, people will help to get rid of such compatibility
problems much sooner, and the whole community will benefit from
it.