More modularization.

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Nov 19 21:43:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 13:01 +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> Just my simple proposal. If we look into mesa-libGL package, we'll see a
> number of dri-modules:
>
> [petro at Petro ~]$ rpm -ql mesa-libGL

*snip*

> I (and many others, definitely) haven't neither i810-based cars, nor
> others from this list. So question is - why I enforced to install all of
> these dri-modules? We can simply split this package into a bunch of little
> packages, for example mesa-libGL, mesa-dri-i810, mesa-dri-i830, etc. It''s
> not a hard work, IMO.
>
> The same thing with kernel. Not all of kernel-modules are needed actually.
> Why don't repack kernel into kernel, kernel-modules-all (which contains
> nothing, actually, but installs a huge number of small packages with
> modules itself - the way xorg-x11-drivers does).
>
> Any ideas?

It doesn't save much space, the modules are not loaded if not used - and
one thing I really like about RH/Fedora - CPU fries? no problem.

Slap in a new board - which may be different chipset, may require a
completely different video card, etc. - kudzu just figures it out - and
I'm good to go.

When my Athlon 900 system w/ VIA chipset and voodoo3 died - and I
switched to an nforce2 system which required a new video card, I went
nvidia - first booting, it took a few extra seconds as it had to change
the hardware settings and migrate my NIC settings etc. - but it just
worked.

Can this still be accomplished if you go modular with that stuff? Only
way I see possible, since it is hardware specific stuff, is if they all
are installed anyway - in which case, do they need to be split up?