status of up2date and rhn-applet

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Nov 25 16:01:09 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/25/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>
>>Joachim Frieben wrote:
>>
>>>It cannot be hard to use "yum" as a backend instead of
>>>"up2date", so why start from scratch?
>>
>>Yum is already a backend for up2date, providing support (albeit slightly
>>broken, at least in FC4) for repomd metadata.
>
> uhm.... im pretty sure up2date has its own implementation of repodata parsing.
> It's difficult to call yum a "backend" for up2date when up2date
> doesn't use any of the yum codepath.

Sure about that?

$ rpm -ql up2date | xargs fgrep "from yum"
fgrep: /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date: Permission denied
fgrep: /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date-keyring.gpg: Permission denied
fgrep: /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date-uuid: Permission denied
/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumRepo.py:        # heck,
maybe even borrow the one from yum
/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumRepo.py:        # heck,
maybe even borrow the one from yum
/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/sourcesConfig.py:        from yum import repos
/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateComps.py:# most of this is from
yum, yumcomps.py, # Copyright 2002 Duke University

"from yum import repos" looks like it's using yum directly to me.

Paul.