suggestion: move all java packages to extras

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Nov 26 16:37:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 11:30 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 11:13 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > It actually is dependent on eclipse to build.  And tomcat is
> > > increasingly a "core" server piece similar to php[1]
> >
> > So why is it that servers have to be in core? Why not move tomcat
> > outside of core? What's the justification for having it in core? Hell,
> > same with php. The only thing I can think of that depends on php in core
> > is squirrelmail. Zope's not in core, it's in extras and its a server.
>
> Why is it that the desktop has to be in core?  I think we're moving
> towards having _less_ distinction between Core and Extras instead of
> more.  Your argument now is CD space, but we're going to want to get to
> where we have CDs of Extras and at that point, the distinction between
> the two becomes less clear.
>
> I've been one of the strongest proponents of shrinking Core for a while
> now, but I'm starting to wonder if that's really the answer.  But
> starting that argument now isn't going to accomplish anything.  It's not
> the sort of thing that's going to happen today or tomorrow.  And if I
> spend all day replying to mail on threads like this, I'm not going to
> get to any of the useful stuff that people want to see done :-/

Then how about we approach this from another angle:

new packages[1] go to extras and get moved to core if they are valuable.

That way we don't see lots and lots of packages added to core just b/c
their maintainer happens to work at red hat.

-sv

[1] This excludes packages that are a part of base functionality - in
that I mean dependency packages that anaconda and the like require to do
their jobs.