suggestion: move all java packages to extras

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Nov 27 20:07:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:28:29PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Ah yes, the "Extras isn't a second class citizen! Except when it is!"
> > argument. :)
> I'm not going to let you get away with that.

:)

[...]
> marketed or recommended to SOMEONE  What you propose is a collection
> of software that serves no distinct role, has no distinct purpose to
> any conceivable USER pool.  Its an absolutely brain dead concept which
> would kill whatever momentum this community has at reaching more
> users.  The media sets that LUGs and vendors can give out to people
> MUST implement functionality that some target grouop of people are
> thought to desire. Handing a CD of Core that has no end-user facing

Right now, they have to hand out three or four CDs of Core. How is that
better than handing out one CD of Core plus n CDs containing
of Extras groups the distributing group feels is relevant to their audience?

> functionality does jack for anyone but a TINY group of power users you
> are grossly myopic about the power of customization to the detriment
> of all else.

I'm not horribly opposed to having a good web browser (e.g. Firefox) in
Core -- that covers most computer use these days.