Yum and SRPMs

Sadda Teh saddateh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:17:06 UTC 2005

Consider this scenario. A developer is running Fedora rawhide on one of his
spare machines. The developer is not directly involved in the Fedora
process. He just likes to keep track of the latest changes because he is a
hobbyist. Fedora is also his favorite distro, so he likes to know all the
latest news, so he reads mailing lists such as this one every now and then.

Now consider this. He notices that one of his favorite applications has a
bug. He has two choices, fix the bug himself or file a bug report. If he
chooses to file a bug report, he must first find out where the erroneous
software is hosted. This probably involves a Google search or two, not so
bad. Once he finds the site where the package is maintained, he must now
find where to file the bug. He must now search the site for the ubiquitous
Bugzilla. Now he must most likely register an account with that Bugzilla.
Finally, after this whole process he must submit the bug report. Then he
might track the bug by e-mail until it gets fixed (but most likely he will
just forget about it and hope the maintainer gets around to fixing it). The
developer could have just chosen to submit the report to Red Hat's bugzilla,
but he is conscientious and knows the problem will probably be fixed sooner
if he submits it directly to the project owners bug database.

Now consider the scenario where the developer can yum install --source
some-package, and have it install the source along with all the dependent
source packages. Then he would be able to cd to some dir where he can type
make and the source will compile without issues or missing headers. Then he
goes into the source dir with his favorite editor and makes a couple mods to
the source. He re-compiles probably a few times and now the bug is fixed. He
is no longer annoyed by the bug in his favorite app, since he typed make
install and the changes automatically took effect on his machine. After
maybe a day or two of running with the changes, he is sure he hasn't b0rked
anything so he creates a patch and submits it to Red Hat's bugzilla. He
doesn't have to worry about running around willy-nilly finding the master
maintainer because he knows the Fedora maintainer already knows the lead
developers and will submit the patch upstream eventually. The patch then
makes its way into rawhide for more widespread testing. People on the
mailing list thank the person for fixing their most hated bug. The developer
feels great for helping out others who were annoyed by the same problem. The
feeling is addictive and now Fedora has gained a semi-casual code
contributor who most likely fixes little annoying things that the main
developers couldn't be bothered with.

I, as a programmer and a Fedora hobbyist, definitely prefer the latter
scenario as opposed to the former. Such an enhancement in yum would make it
so much easier to hack buggy code. It would also make it easier to fix
critical (or just annoying) bugs faster and perhaps deploy and test the
fixes before rawhide trackers even see them. Plus, being able to fix a bug
and submit a patch for it in one centralized place (RH Bugzilla) is so much
more satisfying than signing up for countless Bugzilla and CVS accounts.
Besides, for those who have the skills to fix the bugs instead of just
reporting them, why not make it easier for these people to actually fix the
bugs? Isn't this what "open source" is all about. It doesn't make sense for
any distro to make it harder to install the source than it is to install
binaries. Doesn't make sense at all.

This type of change would make room for more casual code contributors. Let
the more dedicated Fedora/Red Hat developers worry about the semantics of
getting fixes upstream. I bet even some of the more hardcore developers
would soon find this functionality indispensable too.