fc5 goals

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Tue Nov 29 02:58:05 UTC 2005

Denis Leroy wrote:

>> Can't these darn desktops just play through ALSA without using
>> a sound server, like all normal applications do?
>
> +100

:-)))

>> I'd add that kde depends on esound, which is also unfortunate.
>> The desktops should be independent of each other, or at least
>> based on a common infrastructure (which is what freedesktop has
>> been trying to achieve).
>
> What if the Fedora Installer was able to install KDE by downloading it
> from Extras rather than from the CD ?

It would be fine for me, as I mirror both core and extras daily.

I think it would be somewhat painful for other users, expecially
those who don't have broadband access or live behind corporate
firewalls.

As of FC5, all extras packages are _still_ second-class citizens:

 - they don't get distributed on CD/DVD media along with FC;
 - sometimes, extras packages are out of sync with core (expecially
   true in rawhide);
 - there seems to be less QC in extras than core;

My feeling is that KDE already gets too little polish and
integration in Fedora, so I'm afraid kicking it to extras
would make KDE as unusable as Gnome was in SuSE over one
year ago.

> +1. While it's important to have a consistent policy on what should or
> should not be part of Fedora Core vs Extras, i do have a feeling that
> too much time and energy is being spent on a non-issue, energy that
> could probably be better spent elsewhere...

IMHO, Fedora badly needs better GUI management tools.  We can all
do without them just fine, but newbies are just scared away and
fly to Mandriva or SuSE just to get something similar to the
familiar Windows or Mac OS X control panels.

We should look at other distros and either adopt their tools
or improve ours until they become as usable and feature-complete
as theirs.

If I was a RedHat manager, I'd ask developers to install and
use a few competing distributions on their desktops just to
get new ideas :-)

\X/  http://www.develer.com/