udev alpha testing

Jason Dravet dravet at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:13:59 UTC 2005

>From: Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com>
>To: Jason Dravet <dravet at hotmail.com>
>CC: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: udev alpha testing
>Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:45:24 +0100
>
>Jason Dravet wrote:
>>>I would be glad, if the really brave could compile, install and test:
>>>ftp://people.redhat.com/harald/udev/076-1/
>>>
>>>Beware this could end in a non-bootable system.
>>>
>>>This version removes the hardware initializing/module loading phase from
>>>rc.sysinit. Udev should do most, if not all job. I am interested in any
>>>missing modules, that were loaded before.
>>>
>>>Thx for testing.
>>

>>I will test these for you.  I have downloaded both src.rpm files and I
>>will be doing a rpmbuild --rebuild on them shortly.  I have a few other
>>things I have to get done today so it might later today or tomorrow before
>>I post any results.  Is this alright with you?
>
>sure :)
>

>>If something does go wrong, is there an easy way to get back running
>>without a full restore?  Will booting in single user mode and reinstalling
>>udev-075-4 get the system running again?
>
>hehe, maybe you can't get to single user mode... and reinstall old udev and
>old initscripts please, if you can and need a restore.
>

>>Thanks,
>>Jason

I found some time this morning so here are the results:
1.  I get an error during boot:  udevd_event[702] udev_db_lookup_name:
unable to open udev_db `/dev/.udev/db`: No such file or directory.  The
system still boots.
2.  I ran a lsmod before and after and here are differences:  udev-075-4
loaded loop, parport, and parport_pc.  Udev-076 does not load those modules.
3.  Udev-076 is still slow during boot, although this has more to do with
selinux than udev.  Selinux 1.x policies did not cause udev to be slow.  The
2.x policies have caused udev to be slow.

All in all I say udev 076 is pretty good.

Jason