Anaconda, grub and XFS

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 14:28:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 17:24 +0100, James Pearson wrote:
> There has been an on going issue with installing grub on an XFS
> partition - anaconda will hang at the installing boot loader stage as
> grub 'spins'.
>
> The attached patch for 'booty' works round this problem by remounting
> the XFS file system that contains /boot as read-only and then as
> read-write before running the grub install command.
>
> This patch replaces the current XFS freeze/thaw work round that fails to
> work (a lot) more often than not.

This feels like a hack for the fact that xfs_freeze doesn't work as it
was designed to -- it is specifically for things which need the contents
on disk to actually be what the kernel thinks is there.  And the
continued need of random hacks like this make me more and more inclined
to just disallow the use of XFS as a bootable filesystem.

Jeremy