Encouraging the use of multiple packaging systems on one systems, and the resulting problems (was: re: /usr/local)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Oct 22 18:35:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:16:19 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Can you state clearly the problem that autopackage is trying to solve?

This has got nothing to do with the original question. PLEASE try and keep
this thread on topic!

Anyway, I don't care to answer this question again. I'll let Linux end-users
answer it instead.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23008&highlight=autopackage
http://autopackage.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=144
http://yergler.net/blog/archives/2005/08/17/packaging-applications-for-linux-with-autopackage
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.autopackage.devel/3439
http://autopackage.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=926 (*)
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.autopackage.devel/2850 (**)

(*) LXF is a well known UK magazine which reviewed the software and gave it
    "hot pick" status, unfortunately, no archives of that issue are
    available, not even to me!

(**) TUX Magazine comes as a subscription PDF so I can't link to it
     directly. More letters were sent in the following months.