Encouraging the use of multiple packaging systems on one systems, and the resulting problems

Davide Bolcioni db-fedora at 3di.it
Wed Oct 26 09:07:49 UTC 2005

Mike MacCana wrote:

> On Linux, most administrators install software by RPM, and no
> distinction is made between 'third party' or distro provided except the
> Packager field.

Agreed, but RPM-installed software does not usually end up in
/usr/local. If I remember the FHS correctly, it is not supposed to end
up there, as /usr/local is reserved to locally installed software and
must be left untouched by a system upgrade. The typical Linux distro
muddles the concept of what is a "system upgrade", e.g. is OpenOffice
part of the system upgrade, but I had always regarded the wording in the
FHS as a guarantee that "there should not be surprises in /usr/local".
Am I wrong ?

Thank you for your consideration,
Davide Bolcioni