Installing RealPlayer on FC+FE devel x86_64

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Oct 29 13:55:04 UTC 2005

> - This is where I spent most of the time, trying to figure out why yum
> didn't want to pull them. Why but WHY don't livna and FE provide
> arch-specific mirrorlists. And WHY can't yum look up in x86_64 AND i386
> when presented a generic mirrorlist. (deep anguish, wanted to murder
> someone when I realised that's why everything was failing). Yum ONLY
> searches in x86_64 when you use the default mirrorlists, you have to
> create separate livna and FE entries without any mirrorlist and only the
> i386 baseurl to make it work. This of course sucks for the root server,
> but at this point I was past caring about being nice.

So you really think it's a good idea for yum to automatically add
repositories for i386 if you're on an x86_64? People complain about
their being too many i386 binaries in the x86_64 tree as is - and you
think having yum default to adding more is going to be helpful?

and the reason why using the mirrorlists fail is b/c the mirrorlists use
the $ARCH variable which expands out to whatever your arch is on the
local system.

-sv