Trying to install rawhide: madness and where do we hope to go ?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 11:26:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:28:46PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote :
> >   Then reboot ... 2.6.13-1.1538_FC5 still fails to boot all process forked
> > by init just seems to crash, but booting the old 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 works.
> > Half a day later I still don't have a setup to test inotify or recent Xen.
>
> Current Rawhide kernels are broken. See Dave's earlier email to the list :

  Can't basic bootup of kernels on i386 uniproc machine be tested before
pushed to rawhide, channels, mirrors and users ?

  Similary if some change broke anaconda, can we backtrack that change
in the sake of keeping an installable dist, my servers are pulling everyday
new version of boot images and anaconda stuff which are know to not work,
and users are trying to use them while again we know they don't work.

  There is a balance between doing a lot of testing before pushing and
pushing stuff which can be easilly detected as not working at all in the
most common case.

Daniel