Trying to install rawhide: madness and where do we hope to go ?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Sep 7 12:22:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 07:26 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:28:46PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Daniel Veillard wrote :
> > >   Then reboot ... 2.6.13-1.1538_FC5 still fails to boot all process forked
> > > by init just seems to crash, but booting the old 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 works.
> > > Half a day later I still don't have a setup to test inotify or recent Xen.
> >
> > Current Rawhide kernels are broken. See Dave's earlier email to the list :
>
>   Can't basic bootup of kernels on i386 uniproc machine be tested before
> pushed to rawhide, channels, mirrors and users ?

This kernel has only been half broken.  For many it has been working,
for others it hasn't.

Dave's had a little difficulty rebasing to 2.6.13, but given the amount
of effort he puts in I wouldn't even think of blaming him for not
testing the kernel on all the different possibilities.

In the past four or five days, we've had the first three 'broken'
kernels of the rawhide series.  You've unfortunately just hit a rough
patch.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"