FC4 state of affairs and FC5

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 01:13:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 19:33 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 13:23 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 13:06 -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > > Aren't many of the problems that this is designed to circumvent going to
> > > be solved with anaconda becoming aware of extras and updates during install?
> >
> > That won't happen for FC5 -- this time around we're revamping the
> > internal package handling code to use yum, with the aim of making it
> > *possible* to do something like this.  But the actual support for
> > non-Core repos in the installer probably won't be until at least FC6.
>
> That makes me sad.  Is there nothing we can do to get this functionality
> in FC5?
>
> I'd rather like to avoid a long flame war on this again, so I'm asking
> in all sincerity.  What can we do to help?

Get code written six months ago so the basics could have gotten tested
in FC4? ;)

Seriously, this is *MAJOR* upheavals to the way installs work,
especially for CD installs.  Trying to juggle it with the very much
constant flux of updates is going to do nothing but create a lot of
extra (and not very simple/reproducible) work in tracking things down.
We've got to work before we can run here.  Which is why I have
_consistently_ stated that the goal for FC5 is to have yum as the
backend.  Not that all kinds of new functionality was going to be
exposed[1] at the same time.

Jeremy

[1] Okay, so we'll probably have some magic hidden ways to enable more
stuff, but they will require you to sign over all rights to filing
stupid bug reports caused by bad cds, bad repos or any other nonsense
like that ;)