GNOME 2.14 for FC5?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Sep 15 23:40:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 16:19 -0400, David Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 20:23 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > Recently a preliminary schedule for GNOME 2.14 was released[1], which
> > puts 2.14 for final release about 2 weeks after the FC5 release is
> > scheduled[2], the GNOME development freeze as can be read from the
> > schedule is in January, which is the roughly same time as FC3t3's devel
> > freeze.
> >
> > Would there be any sense in pushing FC5 back 2-3 weeks to accomidate
> > GNOME 2.14  ... <snip>
> >

> This could easily be a slippery slope.  If you push back a two-three
> weeks for Gnome, then you might find that the shiny new Firefox release
> is due out in two more days, so you might as well hang on for that, and
> then the next OO release might finally happen, and then there's a new
> kernel release...   And then shoot, if we can just hang on another four
> weeks, we have another shiny new Gnome release!  If 2.14 is far enough
> along, they might be able to ship with -pre or -rc type releases and
> just put out updates for final, but we may just be stuck with 2.12.
> That's not such a bad thing.

I get the slipper slope argument, but I think you might have chosen the
wrong applications to use as an example.

FC3 shipped with a preview release of firefox, and then updated after it
came out, so we know we don't have to wait for firefox.

FC4 shipped with a BETA of OpenOffice.org-2.x and is still using the OOo
BETA since OOo-2.x hasn't been releases.  So, again, we know we don't
have to wait for that to come out to release.

GNOME, on the other hand, is central to the FC platform (along with KDE)
and a key component of the distro.  Unlike OOo and firefox, it's not a
single (or small set of) package(s), so while you could go with a
pre-release of it, it would be a huge update after the fact.

GNOME is also very tight with it's deadlines (having missed once in
about six releases, and then only by a week or two and this was early in
the process).

In case it's not clear, I'd be all for having FC5 held back a couple of
weeks for GNOME.

Rodd

> --
 It's much better on my side"