tool-chain bug, fc4

anpa anpa0508 at telia.com
Thu Sep 29 22:15:17 UTC 2005

Hello.
I have found a very annoying bug in FC4 for Amd64 regarding gcc, ld and
friends, and I don't know how to work around it.
I thought I was going to help out a little on the Mozilla project, but
when trying to build from source I got kicked in the balls by the message;

"/usr/bin/ld: deflate.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
`memcpy@@GLIBC_2.2.5' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC"

I have tried tweaking the build in several ways to go around it but
without success, and when I talk about this problem I usually get "your
tool-chain is broken/sucks" as a response.
The only workaround I've found so far is to install the normal x86 fc4,
but since I got an Amd64 it would feel a little like a waste.. :/

Is there another way? Other Gcc-packages? Ld?

Thanks.
// ap