FC5 boot problems

OK, this has (sort of) been covered else where, however, the solutions to other people's issues have not worked for me.

Clean install of FC5 and on the first boot, the system appears to stop at "Starting udev:"

I do not have pcmciautils installed, I have tried noacpi, single, removing rhgb and "quiet", I have updated my kernel to the latest one from updates. I have moved various udev rule files from /etc/udev/rules.d/ to see if any are causing me grief, but nothing.

System runs FC4/FC3 fine. This is my first time installing FC5, I previously had installed test releases, which worked fine.

I am at a loss as to what the issue is. RH bug #186164 covers this, but as I said, I don't have pcmciautils install.

Any pointers?

Michael