Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Horst von Brand wrote:

Shane Stixrud <shane geeklords org> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Bill Crawford wrote:

[...]

Ah. The "it must all be integrated" straw man. (sigh)

There is no straw man, real advantages and features become available
when configuration data is unified.

If you mean "single format", I might agree (but that is /much/ harder than
it looks, the needs range from a handful of variables to complex structured
"programs" in specialized languages). If you also mean "single repository",
you are way off the deep end (Hint: Single point of failure, no way to
handle alternative configurations, no way to chroot the config, ...)

By unified I mean all configuration syntax is predictable, hierarchical and standardized.

I also mean multi-repository i.e. Elektra like filesys, dbm etc... My preferred "repository" would be an on-disk hierarchical directory/file structure (filesys) where each application/subsystem has a its own root directory and optional sub-directories.

Read the rest of this thread and you will see all of your concerns have already been addressed i.e. chroot, alternate configs.

Cheers,
Shane