Fedora's way forward

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 15:44:05 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 00:38 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com>:
> > If a user can't be bothered to read a FAQ, google for help, or, heaven
> > forbids, learn how to configure pirut/yum/rpm, he shouldn't be using
> > Fedora (or Linux).
>
> That's a horrible, elitist attitude thast will lose us the market-share war.

The Fedora project is looking for create the best -free-
semi-bleeding-edge Linux platform while -you- seek to create an OS that
will be a "better Windows then Windows" and will draw users from
Microsoft.
Ignoring for a second the huge security ramifications of integrating the
browser into the OS management layer (read: IE + XP nightmare), you are
simply using the wrong OS (or distributions).

I'd suggest you re-read the Fedora mission statement:
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/)
"Fedora Core is an operating system and platform, based on Linux, that
is always free for anyone to use, modify and distribute, now and
forever. It is developed by a large community of people who strive to
provide and maintain the very best in free, open source software and
standards. Fedora Core is part of the Fedora Project, sponsored by Red
Hat, Inc."
Correct me if I'm wrong... but AFAICS, it doesn't say anything about
winning market share from Microsoft.

Gilboa