The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Sun Apr 2 21:36:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Rudi Chiarito wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:50:35AM -0700, Shane Stixrud wrote:
>> What is YOUR solution for a unversal process for managing / editing
>> configuration files programatically? (Let me guess, hand over eyes...
>> what problem??)
>
> Cfengine does that, but it's crude. Puppet is going to go one step
> further and hide some of the details.

My reading of puppet suggested it still deals in config file replacement.
If thats so its usefulness is largely offset by the overhead of managing
and documenting the puppet backend.  When all is said and done any system
that merely pushes files to managed devices, oblivious of the changes
within those files is kludgey at best.

> There is simply no silver bullet.

Of course not, but there solid approaches to shooting this problem dead.
It is just not east to get there from here.

Cheers,
Shane