Re: Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

On Apr 3, 2006, at 2:17 AM, Shane Stixrud wrote:

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, David Zeuthen wrote:

It seems that Elektra simply wants to remap the configuration file for a piece "software" into a hierarchical key/value database and I think that's missing the point entirely. First of all you got to ask yourself whether there should be a configuration of said piece of software in the first place. If you think really hard about it you will find that for most pieces of software this is false - you really don't want any configuration files... Hence you really don't want nor need Elektra.

Software without configuration options what a novel idea... In all seriousness that day will come long after the paperless bathroom....

My point was that you don't want _configuration files_, of course you need configuration for some, even most, pieces of software. Another point was that this configuration should be read from either the desktop session _or_ some remote LDAP server. Maybe if you read my whole mail before replying this would have been clear.

    David