Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Mon Apr 3 18:51:31 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 11:50 -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> > In my opinion what you write is currently, unfortunately, plain utopia.
>
> Not at all, we're doing this for the desktop already!

Good to know !

> As a matter of fact, I believe that for e.g. Apache a lot of "vertical
> software" exists (both as proprietary and in-house solutions) for
> managing clusters of web servers for example. Wouldn't it be nice if
> Apache adopted one true way of doing this and we could all focus on an
> UI configuration optimized for this instead of some random Registry
> Editor?

This is mostly the same problem, being attacked by different fronts.
While Elektra tries to do it in a more general fashion in the base of
the problem, looks like you guys are trying to improve the Apache
silo. Going further in your way seems we are going to have many
different improved silos, which will be again not integrated and
suitable only for datacenters.

> It's not utopia, it just requires a lot of hard work and effort to do
> things right. I tend to believe that if you don't do things right the
> first time you will never get it right because "good enough is the enemy
> of perfect" or something.

Cool, but just take care to create a lot of impenetrable configuration
silos, in a model useful only in datacenters.

Regards,
Avi