Re: Why Elektra is the wrong approach (Was Re: The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management)

Le mercredi 05 avril 2006 à 12:12 -0700, Shane Stixrud a écrit :
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> > A useful cmdline tool to interact with dbus would go a long long way.
> > Something for dbus which is at least as functional a tool as gconftool
> > is for gconf.
>
> I am curious what type of interactions do you for-see admins performing
> with dbus?  I am not that familiar with dbus but it sounds interesting, it
> is unclear to me how an admin would use it though.

Components expose actions via dbus -> obvious sysadmin scripting target
Components expose events via dbus -> you could write triggers (instead
of polling cron jobs), logging/supervision scripts. Plugging nagios on
d-bus might be interesting

Of course if the perfect GUI admin app existed there would be no need
for manual sysadmin action, but if systems didn't have to be cobbled
together all the time there would be little need of administering in the
first place.

--
Nicolas Mailhot
Positive attitude