how do I integrate patches and get updated rpms to users

Mike Christie mchristi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 08:29:56 UTC 2006

Hi, sorry of this is the wrong list. Maybe it should go to the maintiner
list but I am not yet on that.

I packaged the iscsi-initiator-utils rpm and have some fixes I need to
integrate. I think I know how to update cvs and the spec file and that
stuff from this doc
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/developers-guide/

But how does the update get propagated to the user so when they do a yum
  command they get the newest version? Do I have to send mail to someone
or another list or does someone watch the cvs commits or is there some
magic in the build system?

And one other question about updating packages. Should I assume someone
will be running the current kernel? If a new kernel is released and it
lets say a sysfs file is removed or has some new behavior or the netlink
interface has changed, should I build in the userspace application (in
this case iscsid and iscsiadm) the ability to support all Fedora kernels
or just the current one?

Thanks