Re: Red Hat's "Cowardice" against Software Patents

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com>:
> On 4/4/06, Eric S. Raymond <esr thyrsus com> wrote:
> > No, but refusing to carry MP3 decoders when there is no patent block
> > on them is.
>
> Why do you continue reiterating the assumption that there is no patent
> block on mp3 decoders?

I have not in fact made that assertion.  I don't regard the question as being
factually settled one way or the other.

What I know atthis point is that Fraunhofer has a royalty schedule for
decoders.  I don't know if there's an actual patent behind that.  My
informant has expressed skepticism; I anm simply in fact-finding mode.