Fedora with laptops/networking/docking stations etc

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Apr 6 19:25:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 17:35 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 12:19 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > I'm not sure about docking stations, sorry.
>
> Why not expose the docking status in HAL so that g-p-m and n-m can find
> out what's going on and modify policy accordingly?

Ideally we would. And we would export a D-BUS interface with an
EjectDockingStation() method and make the System menu in GNOME use this
through a pretty icon or something. Or maybe if the docking station is
hot-pluggable we wouldn't need this.

> I don't have a fancy laptop that can dock, but I'm sure someone that
> does could take the code for the vendor specific set-lcd and get-lcd
> code and scripts and make this "just work".
>
> I think this is very vendor specific on how to get the docked status.

Most if it is ACPI nowadays I think. From time to other I do try out my
docking station for my T41 and the result varies.

It would probably be useful to start a thread about this on the new
fedora-laptop-list - I'm just not sure all the people we want on this
list (including pjones, davej, Alan Cox) is on it yet.

I would start by collecting data about docking stations; ask people how
it works under Windows etc etc.

    David