Re: Outrageous memory usage with cElementTree (found it)

Shahms King wrote:
The problem is not with ElementTree, but can be traced to a specific
regular expression:

_escape = re.compile(u'[&<>"\x80-\uffff]+')
I suspect it's a bug/misplaced optimization in the re module,
but haven't investigated any further than that.  The specific problem
with the regular expression in the \x80-\uffff range.  Changing that to
'\ufffa-\uffff' gets rid of the astronomical memory usage.  I'm going to
keep looking into this as it's a particularly vexing bug ;-P

I've updated the bugzilla bug to reflect these changes.

nice catch