Move Evolution to Extras?

Wed Apr 12 11:52:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 07:42 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:15:20AM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> > However, moving evolution to extras may not be a good idea IMHO,
> since evolution is the only tool (that I know of) that supports
> Exchange servers. That is certainly an important feature for many
> people in corporate environments (or people who use FC at home and
> need evolution to use the work e-mail).
>
> Evolution in extras is a bad idea. Evolution in core is a worse idea. What
> other as good as unmaintained large buggy package exposed to external attack
> and with known unfixed DoS bugs (and probably worse yet to be found) do
> we ship.
>
> Evolution belongs in the bitbucket.

And what are you suggesting as a replacement ? If Evolution ends up in
the bitbucket, something else with the same functionality should replace
it. So what other Gnome email+calendar+addressbook+task management
application should i use instead of evolution ?

And why is evolution unmaintained? I mean it seems to be important
enough that expensive commercial Linux distributions like RHEL use it as
a default email client.

- Erwin