Caring about users

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Apr 12 17:20:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:42:55PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com>:
> > When was it decided that computer farms, servers and remote
> > administration was unimportant, and only the desktop user was
> > interesting?  Is it official, or just de facto?
>
> Heh. If most fedora-devel list members actually thought "only the
> desktop user was interesting", the thread about co-opting proprietary
> codecs would have gone rather differently.

No it wouldn't.  It's against the goals of Fedora.

The only thing worse than beating a dead horse is trying to ride it.

> I conclude that most of this list doesn't think *any* class of users is
> interesting.

We like the ones that read the archives, present an opinion, debate it, and
realize at the end of the day some things aren't going to go they way they
want them and some are.  We especially like the ones that present patches to
fix things they find broken.

> That's not an attitude that bodes well for the future.

Fedora is a community project.  If the majority of the community isn't griping
about something, I doubt a few here and there will make a difference.

If someone wants to sit there and bitch about things and expect someone else
to go fix them all the time, they can kindly move the fuck on.  Now, if they
want to actually contribute, that is the attitude we want.  And that is a great
attitude for the future of Fedora.

josh